Historic Preservation

HISTORIC PRESERVATION

Samuel B. Rose House

Between approximately 1835 and 1855, William E. Dodge, a New York City businessman who cofounded in 1833 a metals importing company that later became one of the largest mining operations in the United States, purchased in the city of Hudson large tracts of land extending from the north side of State Street to Underhill Pond and from approximately Short Street on the west to North Sixth Street on the east. He later divided these parcels into smaller lots that were sold individually. Two lots on the east side of North Fifth Street between Prospect Street and Rope Alley were purchased in 1851 by Samuel Rose, who enlarged and remodeled a cottage that stood on the lot at the southeast corner of North Fifth and Prospect Streets.

Read More

Built by the prominent architect Isaac G. Perry in 1898, the Galvan formerly the Hudson Armory, is an impressive three-story masonry on the periphery of the Hudson Historic District that once housed York State Army National Guard. Owned by Galvan Partners, the has been the site of numerous community resources designed in to community needs: the Hudson Area Library, now with an inviting in which to welcome residents; Perfect Ten, a non-profit dedicated support 4th through 9th grade girls in their academic achievement new senior center operated by the city, a much-needed facility for Hudson's aging population.