Historic Preservation

HISTORIC PRESERVATION

John T. Haviland Building

BUILT c.1864

ADDRESS: 501 Union Street Hudson, New York

Presiding over the intersection of Union and South Fifth Streets is a large Second Empire-style brick building constructed c.1864 by John T. Haviland, a local shipping merchant. The sizeable square structure was most likely among the earliest apartment buildings to be erected in the city. From 1883 to 1896, the building served as Hudson’s first Home for the Aged.

Read More

Built by the prominent architect Isaac G. Perry in 1898, the Galvan formerly the Hudson Armory, is an impressive three-story masonry on the periphery of the Hudson Historic District that once housed York State Army National Guard. Owned by Galvan Partners, the has been the site of numerous community resources designed in to community needs: the Hudson Area Library, now with an inviting in which to welcome residents; Perfect Ten, a non-profit dedicated support 4th through 9th grade girls in their academic achievement new senior center operated by the city, a much-needed facility for Hudson's aging population.