Historic Preservation

HISTORIC PRESERVATION

Gifford Foundry Building


BUILT: 1856, enlarged 1913 with later remodelings

ADDRESS: 724-726 Columbia Street Hudson, New York 12534

Standing at the intersection of Columbia Street and Long Alley is a building that was formerly part of a large iron foundry and machine shop- one of the most successful companies in Hudson during the nineteenth century and a prominent architectural land-mark for many years in the eastern part of the city. Owned by the Gifford family from 1831 until 1905, the foundry had its origins in an earlier cast-ironmanufacturing company that was the third to be established in the State of New York.

Read More

Built by the prominent architect Isaac G. Perry in 1898, the Galvan formerly the Hudson Armory, is an impressive three-story masonry on the periphery of the Hudson Historic District that once housed York State Army National Guard. Owned by Galvan Partners, the has been the site of numerous community resources designed in to community needs: the Hudson Area Library, now with an inviting in which to welcome residents; Perfect Ten, a non-profit dedicated support 4th through 9th grade girls in their academic achievement new senior center operated by the city, a much-needed facility for Hudson's aging population.