Historic Preservation

HISTORIC PRESERVATION

Dr. H. Lyle Smith House

BUILT: c.1840, enlarged and remodeled c.1876

ADDRESS: 354-356 Union Street Hudson, New York

In 1853 the widow Eliza L. Smith acquired a property located on the north side of Union Street, near the intersection of Union and South Fourth Streets (fig. 1). She and her two children, H. Lyle Smith and Gertrude Smith, took up residence in the dwelling house that stood on the lot, which formerly belonged to Hanford Benedict, a hatter with a shop on Warren Street.

Read More

Built by the prominent architect Isaac G. Perry in 1898, the Galvan formerly the Hudson Armory, is an impressive three-story masonry on the periphery of the Hudson Historic District that once housed York State Army National Guard. Owned by Galvan Partners, the has been the site of numerous community resources designed in to community needs: the Hudson Area Library, now with an inviting in which to welcome residents; Perfect Ten, a non-profit dedicated support 4th through 9th grade girls in their academic achievement new senior center operated by the city, a much-needed facility for Hudson's aging population.