Historic Preservation

HISTORIC PRESERVATION

Allen T. Hallenbeck House

BUILT c.1865, remodeled c.1910

ADDRESS: 61-65 North Fifth Street Hudson, New York

BEFORE

AFTER

Between approximately 1835 and 1855, William E. Dodge, a New York City businessman who cofounded in 1833 a metals importing company that later became one of the largest mining operations in the United States, purchased in the city of Hudson large tracts of land north of State Street up to Underhill Pond and from Short Street over to North Sixth Street. He later divided these parcels into smaller lots that were sold individually. One of these lots, located on the west side of North Fifth Street at the intersection with Rope Alley, was purchased at the end of the Civil War by a local carpenter named Allen T. Hallenbeck.

Read More

Built by the prominent architect Isaac G. Perry in 1898, the Galvan formerly the Hudson Armory, is an impressive three-story masonry on the periphery of the Hudson Historic District that once housed York State Army National Guard. Owned by Galvan Partners, the has been the site of numerous community resources designed in to community needs: the Hudson Area Library, now with an inviting in which to welcome residents; Perfect Ten, a non-profit dedicated support 4th through 9th grade girls in their academic achievement new senior center operated by the city, a much-needed facility for Hudson's aging population.